Re: [Tails-dev] [Freepto] Freepto vagrant

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list, freepto
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Freepto] Freepto vagrant
Hi,

vinc3nt wrote (30 Mar 2014 17:58:03 GMT) :
> On 27/03/14 09:37, intrigeri wrote:

> Yes, I have used the current upstream 1.5.1:
> [...]
> and I have installed it on a Debian testing.

Thanks for the clarification!

I don't think we at Tails want to request contributors to install
packages from third-party repositories, just to be able to build
Tails. So, we really need to get the good stuff in Debian somehow.

Of course, it can be great sometimes to use third-party packages as
a starting point to experiment how good the future will be :)

> At moment the release 1.0.3-1 is the only available from wheezy
> repository, therefore should be great working on the backporting from
> sid version (1.4.3-1).

Sure!

> The same applies for the vagrant-libvirt plugin [2].

Yay. That one is not in Debian yet.
Do you want to file a RFP bug, to start with?

(Maintaining it yourself would be even better, if you feel like it :)

> Anyway should be possible mix in the same Vagrantfile different
> configuration [1]

Interestingly, we use something different to support this usecase:

$ git grep vagrant_old -- Rakefile vagrant

... in the Tails main repository.

>> Note that Vagrant was removed from testing a month ago due to a RC bug
>> (Debian#736787), so it cannot be uploaded to the official backports
>> repository in the current state of things. This bug has apparently
>> been fixed upstream in 1.5 (that has not been packaged yet). It might
>> be useful to give a hand to the maintainer of the package. Any taker?

> what can i do to help him?

If you feel like doing some packaging and maintenance:

  1. package the latest upstream version
  2. test it on current Debian unstable
  3. publish the source package somewhere
  4. announce your work on #741478, tag this bug "patch"
  5. ping the maintainer every two weeks
  6. if they're not responsive within 2 months, then offer your help,
     or even to adopt the package (possibly in a team, that could
     include the current maintainer)

Else, my usual answer would be "help the maintainer triage their bug",
but in this case it does not really apply, so I would ask the
maintainer what I can do to alleviate their workload, so that they can
do their maintainer job better :)