Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tail…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: Mike Perry, Mark Smith, Kathleen Brade
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] integration of Tor Launcher into the broader Tails UX [Was: Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tails]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tails
20/02/14 10:57, intrigeri wrote:
> anonym wrote (19 Feb 2014 19:14:40 GMT) :
>> The primary profile can be used offline too. For instance, if a link in
>> some GNOME notification is clicked, Iceweasel using the primary profile
>> will be opened. We'd some how need to make Tor Launcher *not* run when
>> the browser is opened while offline (start with `TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH`?). But
>> then, if the browser was opened while offline and we then connect to a
>> network (and we are in bridge mode), then the NM hook will want to start
>> the already running browser with the "envvar that will show Tor
>> Launcher's network settings and then exit the browser". How can all this
>> be achieved without creating a complete mess?
>
> OK. From the top of my head, two vaguely related notes:
>
> * We'll want to run Tor Launcher *only* when the user has ticked
> a checkbox in the Greeter, right? Or do we run it in all cases?

It's been my assumption that we'll stick with the original "checkbox in
the Greeter" plan.

Of course, we could instead run it for each new connection (and always
make sure `DisableNetwork` is set in torrc before we start Tor in the NM
hook). It would actually make it harder for users that need bridge mode
to make a mistake by accidentally logging in without checking the box
(if there's a wired connection they're screwed by NM automatically
connecting). When it comes to user experience, though, I'm not sure
non-bridge users will be happy with this new, frequent pop-up that they
have to deal with. In fact, it will train them to always click "Connect"
so that they will screw themselves the time they actually need to add
bridges. I think I prefer our original plan. Other opinions?

> * Note that we don't run the browser by default on network connection.
> See the wrapper in /usr/local/bin/iceweasel.

Yes, I'm aware of this change. I suppose this also would have
complicated things if we'd gone with the "exit the browser" approach.
Was there anything else you had in mind by pointing this out, in case it
got lost on me?

Cheers!