Re: [Tails-dev] integration of Tor Launcher into the broader…

Author: intrigeri
To: anonym, tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] integration of Tor Launcher into the broader Tails UX [Was: Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tails]
Hi,

[ dropping the TBB folks from the Cc list for this sub-thread; also,
anonym: if you've caught up with tails-dev@ traffic, and I can now
stop explicitly Cc'ing you, just tell me; and no need to Cc me, I do
read the list :) ]

anonym wrote (20 Feb 2014 18:35:54 GMT) :
> 20/02/14 10:57, intrigeri wrote:
>> * We'll want to run Tor Launcher *only* when the user has ticked
>> a checkbox in the Greeter, right? Or do we run it in all cases?

> It's been my assumption that we'll stick with the original "checkbox in
> the Greeter" plan.

> Of course, we could instead run it for each new connection (and always
> make sure `DisableNetwork` is set in torrc before we start Tor in the NM
> hook). It would actually make it harder for users that need bridge mode
> to make a mistake by accidentally logging in without checking the box
> (if there's a wired connection they're screwed by NM automatically
> connecting). When it comes to user experience, though, I'm not sure
> non-bridge users will be happy with this new, frequent pop-up that they
> have to deal with. In fact, it will train them to always click "Connect"
> so that they will screw themselves the time they actually need to add
> bridges. I think I prefer our original plan. Other opinions?

Full ack. Ideally, at some point, we may want to run Tor Launcher in
the greeter so that all such configuration is done in a single place.

But then we need to run little-t-tor before the network has been
configured, and we're blocked by that old bug in it that makes it not
catch up later when it's started while the network is still down.

Perhaps this is worth a low-priority ticket so that we don't forget?

>> * Note that we don't run the browser by default on network connection.
>> See the wrapper in /usr/local/bin/iceweasel.

> Yes, I'm aware of this change. I suppose this also would have
> complicated things if we'd gone with the "exit the browser" approach.
> Was there anything else you had in mind by pointing this out, in case it
> got lost on me?

Nothing specific, I only wanted to make sure you were reasoning within
the context of current Tails :)