Re: [Tails-dev] "machines do not start on USB sticks created…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] "machines do not start on USB sticks created using Tails USB Installer, due to a firmware limitation"
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Kuckartz wrote (01 Jan 2014 15:51:07 GMT) :
> The list of known issues contains this section:

> "ThinkPad X220, X230, T430, T520, T530 and E325

> "These machines do not start on USB sticks created using Tails USB
> Installer, due to a firmware limitation.

[...]
> I own a different Lenovo model which might be affected by this issue.

Interesting. I suspect our (experimental) UEFI images would solve this
issue for you, and would be very interested in the results if you had
time to test it:
https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-December/004538.html

> The text above seems to indicate that the problem occurs while reading
> the data on the stick, but I am not sure if that is correct.

> I tried to find more information about the "firmware limitation" but
> found nothing so far. Can anyone here provide more information?

The limitation is that some crappy pieces of firmware are not able to
boot in Legacy BIOS mode from a device that has a GPT.