Re: [Tails-dev] Last steps toward enabling incremental upgra…

Author: bertagaz
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Last steps toward enabling incremental upgrades by default [Was: Please test incremental upgrades (from 0.22~rc1 to 0.22~rc2)]
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 06:13:41PM +0100, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just released Tails-IUK 0.13, that fixes all coding tasks left
> for phase three. I'm giving it a manual testing session as we speak.
> Please use this version (or later) for any further testing,
> documentation work and comments.
>
> If you want to test the incremental upgrader itself, install Tails
> 0.22~rc2, set an admin password, retrieve the latest tails-iuk package
> from our APT repo (http://deb.tails.boum.org/pool/main/t/tails-iuk/,
> or preferably by adding our feature-incremental-upgrades-integration
> suite to your APT sources), install it and run:
>
>    $ tails-upgrade-frontend-wrapper

> Given sajolida agreed and nobody objected, I'm now targetting to ship
> Tails 0.22.1 with incremental upgrades enabled by default (that's the
> stuff in feature/incremental-upgrades-integration), and I've flagged
> the remaining phase three tickets accordingly:
>
>    https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6014

> Yay.

Congrats, I'm excited to see this coming in the wild!

> Next steps:
>
>  * bertagaz reviews feature/incremental-upgrades-integration (but does
>    not merge it yet) and hopefully ACK's it; ETA?

I'll try to do that tomorrow if I have remaining time after the other
review'n'merge I have planned to do, but that sounds unlikely, so if not I
should be able to do that before the end of the week. I wanted to test
this incremental upgrade feature since a while anyway.

> while, in parallel:
>
>  1. sajolida writes doc (based on the
>     feature/incremental-upgrades-integration branch!) and proposes
>     various phrasing changes to the UI
>  2. I update the code accordingly.

> And then, we merge feature/incremental-upgrades-integration, I'll tag
> a 0.22.1~beta1 or something, and I'll prepare a test IUK so that
> anyone can try the latest stuff in realistic settings.
>
> And hopefully the Transifex situation improves soon enough...
>
> Sounds good, did I miss anything?

You have a far better idea of the situation than me, so I'd say you're
probably right. :)

bert.