[Tails-dev] Fix sdmem on Intel graphic hardware, please rev…

Author: winterfairy
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Fix sdmem on Intel graphic hardware, please review [Was: Shutdown stopped working in nightly experimental?]
winterfairy wrote:
> I still believes what I said about overwriting something it shouldn't, and
> now I also believe it is directly Intel graphic card related. These are
> still guesses though, I may be wrong.

Fixed in "bugfix/sdmem_on_intel_gpu" (based on devel) in my repo :D

Please test that it fixes it for you too, and please verify that the
memory still is wiped.

If that is the case, the screen corruption I had and this regression was
related. The screen corruption does not occur anymore, and I actually get
erasing progress written with * during erasing, something I didn't knew
existed :)

The "i915" driver (and its dependencies) must be loaded before sdmem
starts wiping. I guess the problem was that the GPU still believed the
video memory was mapped to a System RAM region, but the kernel thought
that memory was unused. By loading the driver it is reinitialized
properly.

PS: only tested by patching the affected ISO, I haven't really built the
branch.