Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/ff24

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/ff24
Hi,

fixed feature/ff24 with a tiny patch to Torbutton to add
a test_enabled pref, proposed upstream as Tor#10216, applied to our
new Torbutton 1.6.4.1-1 package, that's now installed in feature/ff24
(and experimental), both branches now set this pref to false.

=> please review'n'merge, for real, this time, hopefully.

I think the only new commit explains the rationale of this change:

commit 496ad875521d9e6ce347dc4e94c1c2e7c8d2eaf4
Author: Tails developers <amnesia@???>
Date: Fri Nov 22 15:02:31 2013 +0000

    Disable Torbutton 1.6's check for Tor.

    First, this check did not exist in Torbutton << 1.6, so this feature was never
    used in Tails yet.

    Second, we cannot use the local Tor check with the control port, so we have
    been relying on the remote Tor check since feature/ff24 has imported Torbutton
    1.6.x.  Unfortunately, the new check.torproject.org breaks the remote Tor
    check, and nobody but us cares^Wdiscovered it yet, as the only currently
    supported usecase of Torbutton is the TBB, which itself uses the local check.

    So, the shortest and sanest path to fixing the "about:tor wrongly pretends that
    Tor is not configured properly, because the remote Tor check is broken" seems
    to simply disable this check. If someone strongly wants Tails to have such a
    Tor check feature, they're welcome to fix the new backend on
    check.torproject.org, and then we can revert this commit.

    Note that this Iceweasel pref was introduced with a Tails-specific patch in our
    Torbutton 1.6.4.1-1 package. A pull request will be submitted shortly so that
    this feature is upstream'd.