Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/ff24

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/ff24
intrigeri wrote (19 Nov 2013 07:30:16 GMT) :
> actually, (since the new check.torproject.org was deployed?) the
> browser in feature/ff24 opens a about:tor page that pretends Tor is
> not working fine. I'll investigate this later today. Help is welcome.

It's unlikely that I manage to get to it in the next 24 hours.

Any help is welcome. My plan would be:

  0. Re-read Tails commit 3241197 (on feature/ff24) to understand
     what's our current set of kludges regarding the Tor check.
  1. Try to reproduce the issue with a TBB 3.0 beta and the relevant
     Tails settings.
  2. Have a look at the relevant Torbutton code.
  3. Spend some time to try and find a nice way to fix the issue and
     avoid the kludges, probably by patching Torbutton, hopefully in
     a way that can be upstream'd.
  4. If #3 fails, hen
     * short term plan: we have to get this branch ready very soon
       anyway, so find another kludge, or patch Torbutton in a ad-hoc
       way to workaround the problem, or something.
     * long-term plan: ask Mike Perry for help, so that a proper
       solution can be worked on.