Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock 0.5

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock 0.5
Hi,

Kevin C. Krinke wrote (12 Nov 2013 18:51:17 GMT) :
> Just committed (locally):
> Vcs-Git: git://git.tails.boum.org/kevin/clock
> Vcs-Browser: https://git-tails.immerda.ch/kevin/clock

Cool :)

>>> * Remove NEWS (needed to build though?)
>>
>> What's the actual issue with NEWS? I see a hackish "solution" in Git,
>> but I don't know what problem it is supposed to workaround.

> I initially gave up trying to debug this problem. Finally dug up the
> correct configure.ac magik to make that end of things work however
> git-buildpackage still dies on me during dh_installdocs.

> My challenge now I suppose is to figure out what dh_installdocs is
> requiring NEWS.

Because you've listed that file in debian/docs, and dh_installdocs(1)
reads:

  FILES
       debian/package.docs
           List documentation files to be installed into package.

>> Please bump Standards-Version to the latest one (`apt-get install
>> debian-policy/unstable', see the checklist shipped in there).

> /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/upgrading-checklist.html

> Not sure if that was the checklist you're referring to.

Yes, it was.

> Went through it
> and didn't see anything that needed fixing. Was there anything in
> particular?

I doubt there was any update necessary, but it's still important to
check it before bumping Standards-Version. Great you did it :)

>> Is the canonical upstream source of the package a signed Git tag (I
>> would prefer this) or the .orig tarball?

> 0.6 will be released with a signed Git tag.

Perfect.

Two more questions, regarding the next steps:

1. Did you file an ITP in the Debian BTS already?

2. Have you tried building the .deb in a Squeeze chroot (I'm assuming
you are using pbuilder or sbuild or similar — if not, you should
be, so tell me and I'll provide some pointers) already? If yes, do
you confirm the resulting .deb installs and runs fine on Squeeze?