Re: [Tails-dev] VIM with blowfish encryption

Author: intrigeri
To: Kristóf KOVÁCS
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] VIM with blowfish encryption
Hi,

Kristóf KOVÁCS wrote (12 Nov 2013 22:43:27 GMT) :
> I've noticed that Tails includes a rather old version of the VIM editor,
> namely, 7.2 (currently it's at 7.4).

Tails is currently based on Debian Squeeze.

> The reason I'm telling this is because vim 7.3 (released in 2010) includes
> blowfish-based encryption for text files, which may come handy --
> especially, if one is using it already and would love to use this feature
> when running Tails, too :)

> So my question is: would it be possible to include a newer (at least 7.3)
> version of the vim editor (with encryption features enabled) in Tails?

Once Tails is rebased on Wheezy (see ticket #6015), it will ship vim
7.3.547. I'm not too keen on shipping one more backport in the
meantime, especially since it's unclear if this backport would have
the desired feature.

Regarding the encryption features, I've no idea if the Debian package
enables it. If you're interested, please test this in Debian unstable,
and ask for this feature there if it's not enabled.

Hasn't vim some GnuPG integration handy anyway?