Re: [Tails-dev] Prototype script for running macchanger at b…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Prototype script for running macchanger at boot
04/10/13 16:58, auenratio@??? wrote:
> I am following the discussion on the tails-support mailing list, and
> after reading the article on Mac Spoofing by Etienne Perot at
> https://perot.me/mac-spoofing-what-why-how-and-something-about-coffee
> entitled Etienne Perot — MAC spoofing: What, why, how, and something
> about coffee, I wanted to contribute the attached working prototype
> script to your effort toward running macchanger at boot time.

There was some initial prototyping work toward a MAC spoofing feature in
Tails in the feature/spoof-mac branch [1] in late August. We've had some
internal discussion about a design proposal, which I'm writing at the
moment. It will be posted on this list any day now.

[1] https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/log/?h=feature/spoof-mac

> I have always booted Tails with my router turned off, so that I could
> run macchanger before enabling networking (turning my router on). Since
> then my ISP had remotely rewritten the admin password before I
> attempted to change it, and they also apparently upgraded the firmware
> on the router at the same time. Even after the router password change,
> my router seemed to accept spoofed Mac addresses from running macchanger
> for a while even after I borked my router's password. Currently, my
> router only accepts my original Mac address, and cannot be used further
> for testing this script until I have at least resolved its admin
> password problem.

This is one good reason for why the MAC spoofing problem isn't as
straight-forward as it may seem at first glance. We simply can't force
it on our users, as that leave them without Internet access, so it must
be opt-in or opt-out. Similarly, obvious MAC spoofing may raise unwanted
suspicion in some situations. What I'm currently doing in my desgin
writing is trying to enumerate all relevant use cases and doing some
initial analysis of them. The biggest issue with this feature isn't
technical but rather how to clearly communicate to users what the right
choice is for them given their particular situation. That's no easy task
given how many variables are involved.

Stay tuned! Your input would be appreciated when the discussion starts.

Cheers!