[Tails-dev] Kill plymouth when boot fails?

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Kill plymouth when boot fails?
Hi,

A recent post in tails-support reads:

> But in that case, I only see the boot window and can choose between the
> normal and the failsafe version of Tails (0.20), and the boot
> seems to start ok; but at the point where in the successful case the
> screen resolution switches (and the progress bar moves from the bottom
> of the screen to the center in my case) nothing happens - the progress
> bars just progress (very slowly) until they are completely white and
> then stops. The computer does not react to any key (except
> ctrl-alt-del).
>
> This happens both in normal and failsafe mode. I didn't see any useful
> boot message. I removed "quiet" from the boot parameters, but still
> the scrolling messages were quickly replaced by the progress bar. Is
> there any way to learn what is going wrong?

My analysis of what happens is that live-boot/config fails while looking
for the root filesystem on the boot medium. I think that this is the
most common boot failure, and that current behaviour is unclear to the
user.

I suggest that we display a message when such a problem happens. We can
either send a message to plymouth, or kill plymouth when something goes
wrong. Hopefully there is a hook in live-boot/config to do that.

What do you think?