Re: [Tails-dev] TAiLS Logo Idea...

Author: Kevin C. Krinke
To: intrigeri
CC: carmie, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] TAiLS Logo Idea...
Hi intrigeri,

On 2013-09-06, at 9:39 AM, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Kevin C. Krinke wrote (04 Sep 2013 16:18:23 GMT) :
>> Not sure about the legals but I thought I'd take a stab at an idea
>> I had for a TAiLS logo.
>
> Thanks a lot, we badly need a logo!
>
> Some other logo ideas were discussed last month, starting at:
> https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-dev/2013-August/003382.html
>
>> Obviously I'm no artist but thought I'd take a stab at it. Didn't want it too
>> visually complicated so it'd work small and large but I was gonna throw the CD+USB
>> Key behind the onion though it ended up looking like bad Microsoft Paint output.
>
> I quite like the concept of a Debian swirl looking like smoke coming
> out of Tor onion. In this version, perhaps the swirl would be too
> small when the logo is displayed in smaller scales.

I've just updated the ticket with another mockup along the lines of my original submission, however, I *totally* get what you're saying. Perhaps I've got another idea brewing along your train-of-thought but let me ask a few questions first…

1. What is the defining aspect of Tails? i.e.: subverting censorship? cryptography for the masses?
2. Is there any particular colour scheme? i.e.: Tor has the purple as a primary theme
3. How should people identify with Tails or is it the opposite in that Tails should be indistinguishable from the rest of the bits in the pipe?

Given some answers to the above (and please, more the one person respond), I'll try to come up with a more refined and uniquely Tails idea.

> On the other hand, I'd rather see Tails have its own logo, than
> something heavily based on other aggregated logos. We certainly owe
> a whole lot to the Debian and Tor projects, but Tails isn't just this,
> and nowadays could be worth having its own visual identity. What do
> you think?
>
> To end with, if you don't read the list, please explicitly ask we
> Cc you.

I most certainly read the list :) Long time fan of Debian and at one point entertained the thought of dedicating enough time to try and become a member but the intake process… *shakes his head* talk about earning the trust (granted that was back in 2000-2003, no idea how things have changed if at all). So instead I read lists of interest and sit back envious of those with more time and connections to the community than me.

Kevin C. Krinke <kevin@???>
851662D2 - 5216953E0CBA1767D6064AB2DAC1902A
http://kevin.c.krinke.ca/851662D2.asc