Re: [Tails-dev] Should we avoid using the word bug?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Should we avoid using the word bug?
Hi,

winterfairy@??? wrote (25 Aug 2013 11:03:50 GMT) :
> I want to propose some wording improvements for whisperback and
> corresponding documentation.

I'm glad you do :)

> Right now, the desktop icon read as "Report a bug". Bug is a real and
> recognized word for software error, but it is also a real and recognized
> word for a kind of surveillance device secretly recording audio [1]. I
> therefore believe that the word "bug" may be confusing in the context of
> Tails.

> I don't know what applies for English, but in Swedish non-technical people
> tend to believe you talk about the listening device when you say "bugg". I
> think this mistake may exist in more languages, so I propose to change the
> desktop icon to read as "Report an error" instead.

> Likewise I want the text inside whisperback that now reads "Help us fix
> your bug!" to read "Help us fix your software error!" or even "Help us fix
> your software bug!". And similar for other instances of the word "bug".

I've no strong opinion about the whole thing, but I'd rather use
"problem" than "error".

Most "bugs" reported to Tails are really features (as in: result from
design choices), or problems caused by sub-optimal documentation and
reading. In both cases, they are real problems in the experience of
the reporter, but are not really software bugs.