Re: [Tails-dev] Trash on persistent volume

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Trash on persistent volume
Hi,

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 15:43:13 +0200 sajolida@??? wrote:
> As pointed out in a Whisperback report, there is currently no way of
> emptying the trash stored in the persistent volume without interacting
> with hidden files. I think that's an important usability issue.

I confirm this issue and filed it as
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6254

> When deleting a file from the Persistent folder it goes into a folder
> named `.Trash-1000` in the same Persistent folder.
>
> Doing right-click on the Trash icon on the desktop, and choosing
> "Empty Trash" does not remove those files. Restarting Tails does not
> remove those files either. You have to know where those files are and
> navigate to that hidden folder in order to free space on your USB
> stick.
>
> Without talking about the implementation details, what we could do is:
>
> - Keep this trash on the USB stick, and have it persistent. But still
> have it taken into account when doing "Empty Trash".

That's what I would expect. That's in trash-spec[1] and is supposed to
be GNOME defaults behaviour on removable devices.

> - Move files out of the persistent volume into the main trash when
> doing "Move to trash" on the Persistent folder. So that trash won't be
> persistent and will be merged with the main trash. The files are
> removed whenever Tails is shut down.

Why not, but it's not what I would expect. That's also supported by
Freedesktop "Trash Can" specification[1].

> - Automatically empty the trash of the Persistent folder when shutting
> down; right before unmounting the persistence volume. I understand
> that this will not work when doing an emergency shutdown.

I don't think this idea is as user friendly as the others are.

I'm up to have a look at this but I don't promise any deadline for now.
It someone feels like doing it, don't hesitate!

[1]. http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/trash-spec/

Cheers