Re: [Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_bui…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_build
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (25 Aug 2013 12:23:20 GMT) :
> If we think it is too hackish, we might try to apply the patch the
> hopefully fixes the build directly on older versions:

> https://www.virtualbox.org/changeset/39224/

I think the "install libc6 and friends from unstable, then downgrade"
process is too hackish, and I don't want to be a release manager when
it breaks horribly due to changes in Debian unstable eight hours
before I build the final ISO.

> I need some guidance on what we think the best strategy would be here.

I propose we rebuild VirtualBox 4.2.16-dfsg-1~bpo70+1 in a Squeeze +
Xorg/squeeze-backports environment, upload the result to
squeeze-sloppy-backports, and use it: no version mismatch, we get
closer to what we'll get once based on Wheezy, we get closer to
#5606 (add virtualbox host software), and we don't have to carry the
packages in our APT repository. I'm glad to provide some guidance to
anyone who wants to do it, and I'll do the uploads as needed.

What do you think?