Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: some idea…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, carmie
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: some ideas
On 17/08/13 14:09, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm told that Moray Allan's "Paths into Debian" BoF yesterday at
> DebConf compared the "How to contribute" web pages for at least
> Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora. Ubuntu's and Fedora's look much better:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/en/join-fedora
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join
>
> We might want to get inspiration from there.

I planned to watch that video at some point as well.

Fedora
------

Regarding the Fedora page, the content is split into three parts:

1. Communication channels. We have this as well, at the bottom of the
page but it can surely be improved.

2. What you can do? structure by roles. That goes really much along the
line of what Alan and I suggested. A few comments:

   - We added the "User" role that's not in there.
   - What I called "Have language skills" is split here in "Content
     Writer" and "Translator". I think that makes sense.
   - I cannot fit the "Have a server?" category in there. We could
     renamed it as "Server administrator", or just get rid of it as
     it's already well advertised on the download page, and we don't
     have problems with getting mirrors so far.

3. Meet Fedora, with relevant news update. I'm not sure we have
equivalent information on our website.

So we could have:

- User
- Report bugs
- Provide needed input to developers
- Help other Tails users
- Make a donation
- Content writer
- Improve documentation
- Translator
- Improve Tails in your own language
- OS developer
- Fix a bug
- Implement a new feature
- Server administrator
- Setup a BitTorrent seed
- Setup a HTTP mirror
- People Person
- Spread the word

We don't have anything to put under "Designer" for the moment but we
might at some point.

Ubuntu
------

http://community.ubuntu.com/

The community portal has a "Contribute" section that also has categories
but not only according to roles. They have less categories that what we
are planning so far. As Fedora, they have a short sentence to introduce
the category, and then a link to more detail.

http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/

The dedicated "Contribute" page has only two sections "Non-technical
users" and "Technical users" with a linear textual presentation. That
surprised me a bit and might work in our case after tons of rewriting,
but at the moment it's was we are trying to run away from.

It's funny to realize how little logos and icon Ubuntu are using in the
end. There is not a single one in this whole section and subpages.