Re: [Tails-dev] More gnupg options...

Author: adrelanos
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] More gnupg options...
Hi!

intrigeri:
> sajolida@??? wrote (17 Aug 2013 08:23:06 GMT) :
>> What do you think?
>
> Personally, I won't spend time on evaluating random $program $option
> unless I'm at least basically explained why I should care

There may or may not be soon a place to discuss and propose changes for
an optimized gnupg.conf:
https://github.com/ioerror/torbirdy/pull/11

> (not
> mentioning that upstream and/or Debian are probably better places to
> change these settings).

Upstream: I have the impression, their focus is more on staying
compatible with slow CPU systems (hence not 4096 bit default) and
ancient versions of proprietary PGP versions and not interested in
breaking compatibility with them for the sake of better security.

Debian: There is no /etc/gnupg.conf. Gpg only stores settings in the
user's home folder. Therefore it's difficult to propose changes for
Debian default. And needless to say, Debian policy forbids writing
dotfiles in user's home folder. This would require a patch to introduce
the /etc/gnupg.conf feature first. Let's imagine there was such a patch,
would the Debian packager add it or say add the feature upstream? In the
latter case, upstream will tell you, that they currently don't plan a
release.

The situation is in a deadlock. As a Debian derivative realistically
your options boil down to breaking Debian policy and writing gpg
settings in user's home folder or doing nothing.

Cheers,
adrelanos