Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: some idea…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: carmie
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: categories
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Contribute section of the website: some ideas
Hi,

great to see you go fetch inspiration there! Some minor
comments follow.

sajolida@??? wrote (18 Aug 2013 14:22:47 GMT) :
> Fedora
> ------

[...]

> 2. What you can do? structure by roles. That goes really much along the
> line of what Alan and I suggested. A few comments:

>    - We added the "User" role that's not in there.
>    - What I called "Have language skills" is split here in "Content
>      Writer" and "Translator". I think that makes sense.

Yes, probably... unless someone finds a wording that doc writers,
translators (and promoters, if "Spread the word" is moved there as you
suggested previously) can all identify to.

> So we could have:

> - User
> - Report bugs
> - Provide needed input to developers
> - Help other Tails users
> - Make a donation
> - Content writer
> - Improve documentation
> - Translator
> - Improve Tails in your own language
> - OS developer
> - Fix a bug
> - Implement a new feature

I fear that "OS developer" may be too specific and needlessly
excluding many people who don't identify as OS developers.
"Software developer", perhaps?

> - Server administrator
> - Setup a BitTorrent seed
> - Setup a HTTP mirror
> - People Person
> - Spread the word

> We don't have anything to put under "Designer" for the moment but we
> might at some point.

We do, see my previous email :)

That makes 7 categories. Much better than the 12 links we now have,
and probably easier to convey graphically in a meaningful way.

> Ubuntu
> ------

> [...] As Fedora, they have a short sentence to introduce
> the category, and then a link to more detail.

I think this is a great idea.