[Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/bilibop [Was: He…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/bilibop [Was: Help needed with branch bugfix/writable_boot_media]
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (13 May 2013 15:42:10 GMT) :
> I've tried it, and it works fine for me (and makes "the boot device
> has safe access rights" test pass), so I've merged our feature/bilibop
> branch into the experimental one.

> I'd like to fix this bug for 0.18.1 or 0.19.

> So, the question now is: do we want to use bilibop to fix this serious
> bug, or develop and maintain a in-house solution?

> A. bilibop

>    pros:
>      - already works in a way that I'd be happy to ship in our next
>        stable release
>      - we don't have tomaintain it: quidame does
>      - it supports more hardware / boot media / installation modes
>        than we'll ever do ourselves

>    cons:
>      - we (well, I) have to sponsor it in Debian
>      - quite a lot of code for something that may look simple

> B. home-made solution

>    pros:
>      - less code

>    cons:
>      - the code is not finished (yet)
>      - we have to maintain it ourselves
>      - only supports the hardware / boot media / installation modes
>        that we explicitly add support for

> I do prefer to go with plan A.
> What do others think?

Nobody disagreed, so this is now a formal review&merge request.
Now is more than time to voice your opinion if you disagree with us
going the bilibop way.

feature/bilibop has been in experimental for two weeks.
I've just updated the ticket (todo/make_system_disk_read-only) to make
the next steps clearer.

Candidate for 0.19, please merge into devel (at the APT level too).

> quidame, would you be happy to commit to make bilibop-udev support the
> Tails usecase on the long term? (that is, Debian stable + live-build +
> live-boot, GPT, DVD or USB / sd-card, etc.)

FTR, quidame commits to do so :)