Re: [Tails-dev] Help needed with branch bugfix/writable_boot…

Author: intrigeri
To: quidame
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/bilibop [Was: Help needed with branch bugfix/writable_boot_media]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Help needed with branch bugfix/writable_boot_media
Hi,

quidame@??? wrote (13 May 2013 00:57:02 GMT) :
> Could you try the new version (0.4.11~quidame), please ?

Thanks a lot for your prompt response!

I've tried it, and it works fine for me (and makes "the boot device
has safe access rights" test pass), so I've merged our feature/bilibop
branch into the experimental one.

I'd like to fix this bug for 0.18.1 or 0.19.

So, the question now is: do we want to use bilibop to fix this serious
bug, or develop and maintain a in-house solution?

A. bilibop

   pros:
     - already works in a way that I'd be happy to ship in our next
       stable release
     - we don't have tomaintain it: quidame does
     - it supports more hardware / boot media / installation modes
       than we'll ever do ourselves

   cons:
     - we (well, I) have to sponsor it in Debian
     - quite a lot of code for something that may look simple

B. home-made solution

   pros:
     - less code

   cons:
     - the code is not finished (yet)
     - we have to maintain it ourselves
     - only supports the hardware / boot media / installation modes
       that we explicitly add support for

I do prefer to go with plan A.
What do others think?

quidame, would you be happy to commit to make bilibop-udev support the
Tails usecase on the long term? (that is, Debian stable + live-build +
live-boot, GPT, DVD or USB / sd-card, etc.)

> If it works as you expect and you plan to ship it with the next
> release of Tails, you should probably try to base some of your
> custom scripts on the bilibop shell library (just play with
> /lib/bilibop/disk and see).

> Tips:
> - if the symlink /dev/bilibop exists, it means the system is running
> from a writable media (USB, MMC and the like, but not DVD);
> - if you don't like 'bilibop' but prefer 'Tails' or 'bootdev', just
> set up BILIBOP_COMMON_BASENAME to the value of your choice in
> /etc/bilibop/bilibop.conf

Nice goodies, thanks! This will be useful for the incremental updates
feature too.