Re: [Tails-dev] Fw: autostarting Iceweasel [Was: Training J…

Autor: sajolida
Para: The Tails public development discussion list, Runa A. Sandvik
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Fw: autostarting Iceweasel [Was: Training Journalists in Istanbul]
On 12/04/13 00:03, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:

>>> Yes, it does. How about changing the text of the buttom to "Are you
>>> running Tor?" or something similar that explains what the button is for?
>>
>> I did a first version with the label "Are you using Tor?" but then
>> people made me realize that the question mark was maybe putting too much
>> in doubt the fact that the Tor configuration was supposed to be running
>> all right (at least for the Tails homepage).
>>
>> We don't want to encourage people into thinking that they have to check
>> every time whether they are using Tor or not. So we ended up changing
>> for a more neutral formulation without question mark on purpose.
>>
>> It's probably possible to find something better than "Tor check" but
>> still without question mark. I'm totally open for suggestions.
>
> Could you run the check Tails users and display a "You are using
> Tor"-message instead?

That's probably technically possible but that would require people to
trust tails.boum.org regarding their Tor status and not directly
check.torproject.org. That might be problematic for some people and not
solve the problem.

Furthermore, that would be a lot more work than the current solution,
surely imply JavaScript or some scripting on the server side, that I'm
not ready to do that now.

The question of having ways to add a Tor status on a website could be
solved by check.torproject.org and reused elsewhere if they think that's
relevant. But if I remember correctly I've seen ticket on Trac that were
discarding this idea (can't find where though).