Re: [Tails-dev] Python questions

Autor: intrigeri
Para: Michael Seebach
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Python questions
Hi Michael,

Michael Seebach wrote (21 Dec 2012 06:12:08 GMT) :
> I'm new to Python programming so I don't know how much I can help,
> but I'd like to do what I can.  I have some questions about Python
> and Tails.

Welcome!

> What parts of Tails are written in Python?

In decreasing order of room for improvement (in my opinion):

  * tails-greeter
  * Tails USB Installer
  * WhisperBack
  * Metadata Anonymizing Toolkit (MAT)
  * a great number of Debian packages!
  * a few scripts that can be found in
    `config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/*bin/', in the main Tails
    Git repository; none of which is large, nor has much room for
    improvement. I'd say forget it.

> What Python libraries are included with Tails?

I guess "grep '^python'" on
wiki/src/torrents/files/tails-i386-0.15.packages (found in Tails main
Git repository) will easily, and exactly, answer this question :)

> Where can I find source code to the parts of Tails that are written in Python?

All the programs shipped in Tails (but the packages fetched from
Debian) have their source code managed in Git:
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/git/

> How hard would it be to upgrade Python on Tails to 2.7?

I think this would be too hard to be interesting a task to undertake,
considering the limited advantages. To use Python 2.7 in Tails,
I suggest to wait for Tails to be based on Wheezy... or help making
this happen :) -- feel free to ask us for pointers, if
you're interested.

But I guess you're rather looking for a place to start by hacking some
Python code, so I would suggest:

1. Read https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/code/

  2. Pick the easiest (for you) task of:
       * a ticket whose title contains "tails-greeter" on
         https://tails.boum.org/bugs/ or https://tails.boum.org/todo/
       * a remaining task on
         https://tails.boum.org/todo/usb_install_and_upgrade/

3. Fix the bug / implement the missing feature you picked.

4. Send us a Git patch or (better) a pull request.

5. Learn how to use a Python testing framework.

6. Implement an automated test that matches your patch :)

Alternatively, get in touch with jvoisin <julien.voisin@???>,
and see if / how he could use some help on the MAT :)