Re: [Tails-dev] performance test: randomsound vs haveged

Autor: adrelanos
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] performance test: randomsound vs haveged
> adrelanos@??? wrote (20 Dec 2012 16:14:46 GMT) :
>> cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/poolsize is always 4096. Unusable for
>> benchmarking.
>
> Sure.
>
>> cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail numbers always change.
>> Depends on hardware (real or virtual). Also depending on which
>> entropy related packages are installed they change even more.
>
> Full ACK.
>
>> I didn't check the kernel sources either, but this is backed up by
>> practical tests and instructions on how to benchmark it everywhere.
>> There is a consensus.
>
> Looks like there's a big misunderstanding about my intent.

Yes. Now I got it.

> I'm not saying these results are useless (they are probably all we
> need to know in practice),

For busy servers requiring lots of entropy it could still be interesting
in practice.

> I'm just mentioning it because you wanted
> to check if running haveged and randomsound at the same time results
> in even more entropy available... and without any experiment, one
> could tell that ($max + $max) can't possibly be greater than $max.
> See what I mean? :)

Yes, that's right.

I wanted to see, if they interfere with each other. In theory installing
two packages could result in a incompatibility. Two solutions blocking
each other, perhaps by eating up too much CPU and archiving nothing. What
we know now is, that they don't interfere up to 4096.