[Tails-dev] Please review the documentation of gpgApplet

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review the documentation of gpgApplet

Today I worked on the documentation of the new Tails gpgApplet. (I
wondered whether giving it a name without camel case.)

You can find most of the work in commits 1c3c5bc..94e4fb4, but those are
a bit hardcore so you might rather look directly at the result on those
four pages:

[1] /doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet
[2] /doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/passphrase_encryption
[3] /doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/public-key_encryption
[4] /doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/decrypt_verify

I have a couple of questions and bug reports, though.

First, I was wondering about the warning "message was not integrity
protected" when using passphrase encryption. Does it always appears? Is
there no way of providing integrity when using a passphrase? See what
I'm saying about it on line 73 of
/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/decrypt_verify.mdwn

Then, I'm still sticking to documenting Tails gpgApplet and not
documenting more generally OpenPGP or GnuPG in Tails (Seahorse, Claws
mail, etc.) so for example I'm not mentioning the “Manage keys” feature.
Tell me if I should and I will. By the way the menu item “Manage keys”
is not capitalized as the others.

And now the bug reports:

1. When decrypting a text encrypted using passphrase encryption, if you
enter a bad passphrase you have to select the text again to try another
passphrase. The encrypted text should be kept in the clipboard even if
the given passphrase is bad, no?

2. When encrypting using several public keys that are not trusted, the
warning message only mentions one. It should either mention each key in
a separate dialog box, or all of them in a single dialog box.

On the same topic, shall I explain that this message appears when keys
are not signed by the user, and how they can sign them? I would say this
is off-topic for now.

3. I found two phrases of the GUI that need to be rephrased.

“Here is the GnuPG output:” → “Output of GnuPG:”

See GDP [5]: 4.3 How to Write for Translation, Topic 13
« Replace the genitive construction with an of structure. »

“While it were at it, GnuPG also mentionned in passing:” → “Other
messages provided by GnuPG:”

See GDP [5]: 1.3 Tone
« Avoid colloquial language. Colloquial language is difficult to
translate and usually culture-specific. Stay neutral. »

[1]
http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob;f=wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet.mdwn;h=ab177237705a91849462cb82c21f55bd7bfe184b;hb=refs/heads/feature/assymetric_gpgApplet

[2]
http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob;f=wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/passphrase_encryption.mdwn;h=0d27a7bf7a134d461744fe397f0cb0a4c78aa77d;hb=refs/heads/feature/assymetric_gpgApplet

[3]
http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob;f=wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/public-key_encryption.mdwn;h=77f2edffcae8e9084472879aa6d1ea7aeed152f5;hb=refs/heads/feature/assymetric_gpgApplet

[4]
http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob;f=wiki/src/doc/encryption_and_privacy/gpgapplet/decrypt_verify.mdwn;h=33a6f7dc30f661ed9e0fbe4ae5e208e945518cb4;hb=refs/heads/feature/assymetric_gpgApplet

[5] http://developer.gnome.org/gdp-style-guide/stable/