[Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/multikernel

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/multikernel
Hi,

please review, test and merge the feature/multikernel branch,
candidate for Tails 0.14.

Ticket: todo/nx_bit

This branch boots a 686-pae kernel on hardware that supports it, and
a 486 kernel else. It therefore brings to hardware that supports it:

* NX bit
* multiple CPU cores (usage and power-saving)
* big memory support

(Yay.)

In case you wonder:

  * Shipping an amd64 kernel was postponed due to the VirtualBox guest
    additions incompatibility with 32-bit userspace and 64-bit
    kernel environments.

  * Wiping memory with kernel's memtest was postponed too, since it's
    less efficient than our current sdmem setup as long as 32-bit
    kernels are used (yeah, we could ship a 64-bit kernel dedicated to
    be kexec'd for memtest use -- later).

  * The USB installer vs. non-486 kernel crashes are fixed by Ague's
    patched python-dbus bindings (tested on various hardware today),
    but another shiny new bug was discovered in the process, that
    (most likely) used to be previously hidden by the crashes
    (so basically, feature/usb_installer should be merged *first*:
    see separate review & merge request).

I'll split that into individual tickets once the branch is merged.

Enjoy!