Re: [Tails-dev] [GSoC] Tails server

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [GSoC] Tails server
Hi,

jvoisin wrote (12 Jun 2012 11:29:42 GMT) :
>> I strongly suggest asking on the Debian Live mailing-list how others
>> are doing.
>>
> For now, there are no automatic tests : everything is done "by
> hand".

Well, it's sad there was no positive answer, but FWIW, this does not
really indicate that all Debian Live downstreams do things by hand:
e.g. grml folks did not answer, while they do run automated tests.

>> I also strongly suggest looking at grml's setup (that uses kantan).
>> Pointers and resources there:
>> https://tails.boum.org/todo/automated_builds_and_tests/#index8h2

Did you do so, and if you did, what was the outcome?

> For now, I'm being stuck :
> I have scenarios, but I have no clear ideas about how they can be run,
> because most of them are boot-related.

I have a hard time believing neither the grml tools, nor any of the
ones listed on our automated build and test resources [0], can be at
least used as a basis. Perhaps they are too complex and/or lacking
needed functionality, but please beware of the NIH syndrome :)

[0] https://tails.boum.org/todo/automated_builds_and_tests/#index8h2

And perhaps, eventually, the autotest framework won't look that
overkill. Who knows.

> I was planing to use qemu, but it doesn't seems to be able to boot from
> an usb stick.

KVM (qemu-kvm package) from testing/sid boots pretty well from a USB
2.0 device passed through the host to the guest. I'm unsure about
regular qemu. I'm using this in libvirt/virt-manager. I hope this
un-stucks you a bit :)