Re: [Tails-dev] [GSoC] Tails server

Author: jvoisin
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [GSoC] Tails server
On 12 June 2012 14:54, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

    Hi,

    jvoisin wrote (12 Jun 2012 11:29:42 GMT) :
    >> I strongly suggest asking on the Debian Live mailing-list how others
    >> are doing.
    >>
    > For now, there are no automatic tests : everything is done "by
    > hand".

    Well, it's sad there was no positive answer, but FWIW, this does not
    really indicate that all Debian Live downstreams do things by hand:
    e.g. grml folks did not answer, while they do run automated tests.

    >> I also strongly suggest looking at grml's setup (that uses kantan).
    >> Pointers and resources there:
    >> https://tails.boum.org/todo/automated_builds_and_tests/#index8h2

    Did you do so, and if you did, what was the outcome?

I studied every ways proposed by this pages (and other too) yesterday,
and I played with autotest today.

In my opinion, Kantan/grml is interesting, but despite the author's
efforts, still too specific.
OpenSuse has an intresting architecture, but it's not very usable.

Autotest is quite complete and very nice. You where right, the NIH syndrome
influenced me. But still, this project is huge. I'm not sure that
I want to/can spend time to setup it (altough a nice thing like this one
would be amazing for Tails). What do you think ?

(Ho, by the way, too sad that I don't know some ruby :
the RSpec and Autotest combo seems to be truely amazing !)

Another (simpler/quicker) solution would be to use lettuce
and QEMU.

    > I was planing to use qemu, but it doesn't seems to be able to boot
from
    > an usb stick.

    KVM (qemu-kvm package) from testing/sid boots pretty well from a USB
    2.0 device passed through the host to the guest. I'm unsure about
    regular qemu. I'm using this in libvirt/virt-manager. I hope this
    un-stucks you a bit :)

Right, thank you.