[Tails-dev] Tails 0.12 release plan

Author: anonym
To: The T(A)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Tails 0.12 release plan
Hi,

We have some interesting new features that would be good to push out to
our users. And the next Iceweasel esr (10.0.5) is due 5th of June. It
seems like it's time for a new Tails major release, i.e. 0.12.

Here's a list of feature branches already merged into devel branch that
may need some extra testing just to stay on the safe side:

* feature/live-boot-3.x: According to my testing everything seems ok,
i.e. no new regressions w.r.t. especially persistence.

* feature/unsafe-browser: See separate thread "[Tails-dev] Please test
feature/unsafe-browser" for more info.

Here's a list of feature branches not yet merged into devel branch but
that are candidates for the 0.12 release (all of them are currently in
the experimental branch, so please test them there):

* feature/tails-plymouth-theme: See the separate thready "[Tails-dev]
tails plymouth theme" for more info. IMHO it should be merged. Some
pictures in the docs should be updated, but that's pretty low
priority.

* feature/tails-greeter (windows camouflage checkbox): The new version
of t-g includes a check box for activating the Windows camouflage
(theme) so users don't have to use the kernel cmdline for this any
more. I've tested this fairly intensely with positive results so IMHO
it's in a mergeable state.

* feature/firewall_lockdown: See separate thread "[Tails-dev] Please
test feature/firewall_lockdown" for more info. I'm slightly skeptical
that we can get enough testing for this to be mergeable for 0.12, but
one can hope, right? :) It's been in experimental since the 13th of
May, so I'd like to know how much people have run experimental builds
after that without experiencing weird network related issues.

* feature/assymetric_gpgApplet: I wonder if we're ever gonna see this
merged :). IMHO it should, but not before the docs have been updated
obviously. I suppose that's quite a bit of work which makes this
merge unlikely at this stage. Thoughts?

* More?

Beyond deciding which of the above (and more?) branches to merge, we
need a release date, and that has to leave enough time for our
translators to deal with new/changed strings. Here's a run down of how
much translation work is needed for the above branches:

* feature/unsafe-browser: 35 (docs) + 28 (warning page) = 63 lines.

* feature/tails-greeter (windows camouflage checkbox): 7 lines.

* feature/assymetric_gpgApplet: A lot (big changes in user docs, lots
of strings for new messages inside the application).

Is there any other major source of changed strings? Otherwise this
doesn't look too bad for our translators. Hence I suggest the following
timeline for the Tails 0.12 release:

* 5th of June: Feature freeze.
* 10th of June: Deadline for submitting translations.
* 12th of June: Release of Tails 0.12.

Thoughts?

Cheers!