Re: [Tails-dev] emergency shutdown [Was: next big features: …

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] emergency shutdown [Was: next big features: status update]
sajolida wrote (15 Mar 2012 14:23:32 GMT) :
> 3. Quite often while doing my tests, the emergency shutdown would not
> work. I didn't managed to find an exact procedure to reproduce it but:
> - it seems to happen after using the liveusb-creator
> - it happened on both Tails 0.10.1 and Tails experimental
> - sometimes it happens while doing:
> - boot Tails experimental on a isohybrid
> - "Clone Tails" onto another stick
> - unplug the running Tails
> - sometimes the screen turns black with a cursor on the top-left corner
> and nothing else
> - sometimes the screen stays the same, the system is still somehow
> responsive but doesn't shutdown
> - once I couldn't even shutdown with the red button or by doing `sudo
> halt` in a terminal once I reached this weird state
> - once I checked and udev-watchdog was still running on the right device
> but the emergency shutdown still didn't work

Confirmed. On VT1, when unplugging my boot USB stick, I see various
lines about sdb3, sdb2 and sdb1 being removed, followed by "Bus
error". Nothing more happens, and the udev watchdog process is not
there anymore.

sajolida or others, can you please try to switch to VT1 before
removing the boot USB stick, and see if you get the same?

I suspect the "Bus error" message to be triggered by "pkill gdm3" in
udev-watchdog-wrapper.