Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] next big features: status update
hi,

sajolida wrote (15 Mar 2012 14:23:32 GMT) :
> Hi, here is the report for my testing session.

Thank you.

I'll study these reports thoroughly later,
and am now only asking questions about information that is missing,
and replying to some trivial points.

> We could end-up needing just one stick if I can store my new ISO in
> the persistence storage, boot with `toram` and install the new ISO
> on the same USB.

That will be great. Some day.

> I understand the need to go through a special bootstrap procedure
> (burn a CD or run isohybrid, etc.) while installing Tails for the
> first time but that will be a pain if it has to be done for every
> new ISO. It seems to be the case so far if you don't have 3 sticks
> and 3 ports.

That's not for every new ISO. After the transition to 0.11 installed
using the USB installer is done, using "only" two sticks will be
possible, thanks to the possibility to put the ISO in the
persistent space.

>> bootstrap persistent storage
>> ============================
>>
>> * wiki: https://tails.boum.org/todo/persistence/#index9h3
>> * todo: https://tails.boum.org/todo/persistence/#index1h4

>> Testing: https://tails.boum.org/todo/persistence/#index2h4

> 1. The label of the partition was not set to TailsData.

The version you've been testing sets the *partition* label to
TailsData, but it sets no *filesystem* label. We, and some of our
tools, are more used to filesystem labels. So please double check
you're not meaning "the label of the filesystem was not set to
TailsData".

FYI, current tails-persistence-setup in Git also sets the filesystem
label to TailsData.

> 2. The encrypted partition was created but nothing was written in it.

What do you mean? Wasn't the LUKS container setup? Or wasn't
a filesystem created inside the LUKS container? Or wasn't there any
file created inside that filesystem?

> 3. When rebooting I'm not asked for the passphrase of the persistent
> storage by Tails greeter.

... and there's no "enable persistence" GUI?
(I think that's the bug anonym recently fixed in live-persist.
Should be fixed in current experimental branch, I think.
Please confirm or disagree.)

https://tails.boum.org/todo/usb_install_and_upgrade/todo/#index1h2

> 1. When trying to boot Tails experimental in VirtualBox the window is
> much bigger than it used to be. I liked the previous size better.

Previous?

https://tails.boum.org/todo/TailsGreeter/issues/#index7h2

> 4. It uses the default Debian squeeze background. I'm far from being
> part of the crusade against it but ours should rather match the default
> blue background.

This is fixed in current experimental Git branch already, isn't it?

> 5. When doing a minimal boot (booting from a isohybrid and clicing
> 'Login' on the welcoming window), I can't do `sudo -i` without having to
> enter a password which I never set!

Yeah. You're not a sudoer.
https://tails.boum.org/todo/better_root_access_control/

> 6. I don't understand this sentence of the "Administration password" of
> Tails greeter: « Leave this blank for better security unless you need to
> perform administration operations. »

Not being a sudoer gives better security.
Being a sudoer allows to perform administration operations.
What's unclear?