Re: [Tails-dev] emergency shutdown [Was: next big features: …

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] emergency shutdown [Was: next big features: status update]
intrigeri:
> sajolida wrote (15 Mar 2012 14:23:32 GMT) :
>> 3. Quite often while doing my tests, the emergency shutdown would not
>> work. I didn't managed to find an exact procedure to reproduce it but:
>> - it seems to happen after using the liveusb-creator
>> - it happened on both Tails 0.10.1 and Tails experimental
>> - sometimes it happens while doing:
>> - boot Tails experimental on a isohybrid
>> - "Clone Tails" onto another stick
>> - unplug the running Tails
>> - sometimes the screen turns black with a cursor on the top-left corner
>> and nothing else
>> - sometimes the screen stays the same, the system is still somehow
>> responsive but doesn't shutdown
>> - once I couldn't even shutdown with the red button or by doing `sudo
>> halt` in a terminal once I reached this weird state
>> - once I checked and udev-watchdog was still running on the right device
>> but the emergency shutdown still didn't work
>
> Confirmed. On VT1, when unplugging my boot USB stick, I see various
> lines about sdb3, sdb2 and sdb1 being removed, followed by "Bus
> error". Nothing more happens, and the udev watchdog process is not
> there anymore.
>
> sajolida or others, can you please try to switch to VT1 before
> removing the boot USB stick, and see if you get the same?
>
> I suspect the "Bus error" message to be triggered by "pkill gdm3" in
> udev-watchdog-wrapper.

It just happened to me again. This time I could even switch to VT1 after
unplugging it.

I can see a good list of "change /devices/…/sdc…" which surely
corresponds to the Tails installer (I was cloning), and a last one
saying "remove /devices/…/sdb/sdb4" which surely corresponds to me
removing the system Tails. Then "Bus error".

I tried to see whether the watchdog was still alive but of course I got
segfaults on every command I tried.

That's with a pretty recent ISO, and liveusb-creator 3.11.4-9.

--
sajolida