Re: [Tails-dev] langpanel improvement

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] langpanel improvement
Hi,

alan@??? wrote (11 Feb 2012 16:27:32 GMT) :
> I worked on langpanel to mimic (a bit more) gtk3 2.30 look and feel. It's
> mainly:

> - the look of the panel (just test!);
> - only a selection of languages is now displayed in the menu, which
> contains an "Other..." entry that opens a dialog to select among all
> available languages.

> It works and is better than before, thus merged into master. However,
> the code is not as nice as it could be (but that's the whole story of
> tails-greeter...).

Not tested yet, but I already like it!

> There are also some known issues (documented in TODO in git):

Any good reason for creating yet another place to drop and track
issues and tasks, instead of using the existing
todo/TailsGreeter/issues page on our wiki?

> - the icon used for the languages is "applications-internet" which
> displays a globe in default icon theme, but could display something
> really irrelevant in an other icon theme;

Fairly low-priority IMHO.

> - the menu has an horrible scroll effect at opening. That's GTK
> magic that I don't know how to workaround: when poping up
> a ComboBox, GTK places the selected entry under the cursor, thus
> not displaying the whole menu where I want it to be;

I'll try it and see how horrible it looks to me.

> Similar limited menus and dialog shoud probably be used also for
> other menus (locale and layouts).

Yeah, especially once we add the "Choose keyboard layout independently
from the language" feature, we'll have tons of keyboard layouts and
problems similar for them to the one you just fixed for languages.