Re: [Tails-dev] integrate walkthrough in doc-rework

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] integrate walkthrough in doc-rework
El 06/07/11 19:48, alan@??? escribió:

>> From: sajolida <sajolida@???>
>> Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 07:28:31 -0700
>
> [...]
>
>> I just had a look at the first section « About Tails ». As you already
>> mentioned, at the moment in it there is basically:
>> - Parts that could be merged into /doc/warning.
>> - Other bits that are already addressed by /about. Plus, this secion is
>> bit confusing.
>
> Yes, but these page are to precise what is Tails about. They are like
> subpages of /about. Perhaps this section could have a better name,
> through.

I just merged what I could from those pages in other places and renamed
the section "General information". It now includes:

    * Introduction to this documentation
    * Why do you need anonymity?
    * System requirements
    * Warnings!

That will surely change again and stuff will move around.

By the way, I'm more and more tempted to rename /about as "Overview",
since it really is more an overview than just an "About" page.

>> - The first part of the /doc/about/anonymity page which I don't like
>> that much. If people reading the doc up to this point still need to know
>> « why they need anonymity » we should rather point them to torproject.org.
>
> I agree it is probably not the right place to speak about that, but I
> though that we might want to take inspiration from this to put some
> words on that somewhere else on the website. But I don't mind if it
> disappears.

Ok, this stays in "General information" for the moment. We can see what
we'll do with it later.

>> - A similar thing goes for the main /doc/introduction. It sounds like
>> the usual blabla to my ears and something that's not really worth reading.
>>
> I would like to have this /doc section a real Tails documentation, and
> for me (some bits of) this intro are important to have at the beginning
> of such a document, so I'd rather be in favor of keeping it and
> improving it.

Ok. Feel free to improve it.

>> So do we agree on rescuing what needs to be rescued into the /about and
>> /doc/warning pages and getting rid of all the rest? It'll remain until
>> the end of time in the git history of course in case we feel nostalgic
>> at some point ;)
>>
> Basically I agree on that plan. Some comments on details, through:
>
> - there is the /doc/about/requirements page that should be handeled. It
> might be good to let it in the about section or to put somewhere it in
> the section about getting and installing Tails;

I reworked this page as well.

> - once merged I see this about section as a part of the doc, which could
> mean to move it to /doc/about.

Could be.

--
sajolida