Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Image size issues

Author: alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] Image size issues

El 07/01/11 18:46, alan@??? escribió:
> From: intrigeri <intrigeri@???>
> To: "The T(A)ILS public development discussion list" <tails-dev@???>
> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 09:28:38 -0800
> Enc: unencrypted
> Sig: No signature
>
> alan@??? wrote (06 Jan 2011 19:59:10 GMT) :
>
> BTW, I think such (most welcome!) research would generally be more
> useful if it was done on the devel branch, as the Lenny->Squeeze size
> increase is probably partially due to such files that are uneeded in
> T(A)ILS context.

I know, I know… but building the devel branch is still quite a hassle
for me, my 30G disc, my hacked WiFi connection and the third worldish
ISP of my neighbor so I didn't have a devel chroot built when I did
that. This should improve quite soon and I'll have a second look for
unneeded files.

>> 11M     /usr/share/scribus/translations
>> goes down to 1.9M through:
>> 44M     /usr/share/gnome/help
>> goes down to 19M through:

> Am I wrong thinking these ones should actually be done by localepurge?

The localepurge in squeeze should now clean the Gnome files, see #221636.

Regarding the scribus files I just submitted a bug for localepurge:
#610215. I guess it will be rejected since the developer doesn't seem to
be keen on applying patches that are not so generic. But let's see how
this goes.

> Forcibly removing hard dependencies of installed packages (dpkg
> --purge --force-depends) cannot be done using the chroot_local-hooks
> lever, since live-build (and users!) needs APT to be in a sane state
> later on. The only maintainable workaround that comes to my mind would
> be to install placeholder (empty) packages named the same way as the
> ones we would like to remove, such as libgweather-common. Any better
> implementation idea, anyone?

Sounds funny.