Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] search engine

Author: tim smy
To: The T\(A\)ILS public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [T(A)ILS-dev] search engine
I put your comments forward to the duckduckgo.com forum and received this reply. While I am sure duckduckgo.com is a good search engine , and says
that logs are erased nightly , is this enough? why keep logs at all?

Thx! Anything in particular you want me to comment on?

    > SSL version w/ HTTPS everywhere.

    Scroogle also has a SSL version, which is used in T(A)ILS.

HTTPS everywhere means that for major sites the organic links are automatically changed tho their https versions.

    > Tor hidden service (about).

    What would be the advantage in T(A)ILS?

Not sure how T(A)ILS works, but the advantage is speed if you're on Tor. The end point is our server.

    > POST/Refcontrol settings.

    > Privacy Settings
    > For more info on these privacy settings, check out the Privacy Policy.
    > Redirect:

    >      If On it prevents sharing of your search with sites you click
    >      on.

    This hides to the clicked websites:

     - the fact the user is coming from DuckDuckGo
     - the search that was performed, in case GET is used -> see the
       second "privacy" setting

    On the other hand, I wonder how this is implemented without telling
    DuckDuckGo what site the user is going to visit... which would be
    pretty bad privacy-wise.

The referer says duckduckgo.com, but the search terms are not there. We do not store ips or user agent so we have no idea what you in particular are clicking on. And right now we do nothing with this information anyway, and it is erased nightly.

    > Address bar:
    >      If On, searches will appear in your address bar (GET vs POST
    >      requests).

    I fail to understand the privacy enhancement this brings. Could
    someone explain? I can clearly see the privacy downside in case
    referrers are not disabled.

This is a) an over-the-shoulder privacy enhancement and b) makes it harder for someone to looking through your browsing history on your computer.

    > HTTPS:
    >      If On, searches on the site will always go to the encrypted
    >      version.

    This would be a great thing to have.

    > they are on by default.

    According to the settings page I just visited the HTTPS setting is Off
    by default.

This just means if you land on our homepage with that setting on, it will submit searches to the https version. If you start on the https version always, it isn't needed.

    Worried about how the default settings could be changed, I have had a
    quick look to their website and it seems this can be done using [URL
    parameters](https://duckduckgo.com/params.html) rather than cookies,
    which is probably desirable in T(A)ILS context. We should be careful
    about this though: using a non-default set of URL parameters would
    help DuckDuckGo fingerprint T(A)ILS users.

We don't store user agents. I'd also be fine with scrubbing these parameters from the logs nightly.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------