Re: [Hackmeeting] [Metro] hackerspace - book

Author: jaromil
To: La lista dei soci Metro Olografix
CC: hackers, philippe.langlois, hackmeeting
Subject: Re: [Hackmeeting] [Metro] hackerspace - book
On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 06:19:19PM +0100, Alessio L.R. Pennasilico wrote:
> [this mail was blocked in my outbox since 25th)
>
> On Dec 25, 2008, at 8:34 PM, jaromil wrote:
>
>> as a result, none of the submitters to the book are from the south,
>> not even the south of europe, this is a dramatic split. i think
>> this is SHIT. i don't know who the fuck is behind this way to do
>> things.
>
> This book is the result of the work of a lot of usa hacktivist like
> Bre (the blog owner), Nick Farr (and many others). This is the
> evolution of some meetings they organized in the past in (you may
> call them shitty) places like hope (2600's conference) or defcon.

shitty? why shitty?

after watching the stream and seing them desperately trying to recover
the lack of south in the whole, i believe it is actually their
extremely limited view and lack of "hacking across differences" that
is tainting the whole project.

for instance at HOPE 2600 people might remember Tati being around, she
is an hacker active in The Fiber - Amsterdam and originally from
Argentina. these hackerspace people might have missed both her and the
2600 *real people* hooking up ...

> IMHO the problem isn't about them excluding us from the book: The
> problem is about southern (is it a geographical problem? I do not
> think so...) hacklabs being completely isolated from the
> international network...

no the problem is to have fake yuppies like you being around with a
BMW Z3 and money to pay international flights to misrepresent
completely our scene and throw bullshit around, then back to italy
collaborating with police forces to "profile" criminal hackers. i
just hope the face you are putting on top of "italian scene" drawns in
your rotten grappa.

> They aren't ignoring us: we are ignoring them, we are not trying to
> be involved in their activities, and so on.

i'm not ignoring them. metalab, tmp/lab and more: is US (not you
indeed) and we are struggling a big deal to network. the *method* this
initiative is handled is raising walls.

> I think that if freacknet, loa, reload, someone else would start in
> being involved it should lead to a lager, stronger network. and
> problems like "the book" will easily disappear.

i think it is obvious how to solve the problem: build a proper network
of trust to empower more people to be editors of the book and adopt an
open publishing with periodical "stable releases".

we are hackers! i'm just SO SURPRISED this is not already obvious.

> [update because I am now here at CCC] I talk with my friend bre last
> night: the deadline was abou the pdf to be presented at 25C3, but
> can be edited in the future months, so all the missing hacklabs can
> be integrated.

right. it wasn't clear so far.

what about enlarging the editorial group? and opening up the
submission committee with people that is actually *visiting* the
places - and not like "oh i received a phonecall from south-africa,
how exciting!

ciao

- --

jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: 779F E8B5 47C7 3A89 4112 64D0 7B64 3184 B534 0B5E