Re: [Lista Criptica] Just another password manager

Author: kakak
To: list_criptica
Subject: Re: [Lista Criptica] Just another password manager
M... But the hard-drive encryption only protect your data if the drive
is encrypted, so, in most of cases, when the OS is down and computer
unpowered.

If what you mean is to use a secure strong ecrypted volume to store the
amounts of passwords, that is what do for you keepass, for example.

The advantage for me in this case, is that keepass has the process
memory protection[1]:

* Process Memory Protection: Your passwords are encrypted while KeePass
is running, so even when the operating system dumps the KeePass process
to disk, your passwords aren't revealed.

And this is a definitively advantage. Is keepass a potentially backdoor?

There are another way to store your password data and use some kind if
"process memory protection": use a simple text editor, with a plugin
that every-time that stores something, use gpg2 integration to store the
content using symmetric or asymmetric enc. In this way, also, the data
are never stored decrypted[2]

[1]http://keepass.info/features.html#lnksec

[2] Using Gedit, with symmetric enc:

edit > preferences > complements > enable external tools
tools > manage external tools

Create new external tool, where input are the actual selection and
output replace actual selection. Also configure your preferred shortcut

For enc:
#!/bin/bash
stdin=$(cat)

if [ ! "${stdin:0:27}" == "-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----"  ]; then
    echo "$stdin" | gpg2 --cipher-algo AES256 -c -a  --no-tty
--use-agent - 2> /dev/null
else
    echo "$stdin"
fi

For dec:
#!/bin/bash
stdin=$(cat)

if [ "${stdin:0:27}" == "-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----"  ]; then
    echo "$stdin" | gpg2 --cipher-algo AES256 -d -a --no-tty --use-agent
- 2> /dev/null
else
    echo "$stdin"
fi