Re: [More-than-a-BSP] kind of station proposal

Author: Mathieu Goessens
To: more-than-a-bsp
CC: Ludovic Hirlimann
Subject: Re: [More-than-a-BSP] kind of station proposal
Hi,

u :
> isydor:
>> Jonathan:
>>> I think something around gpg could be interesting, especially for people
>>> not yet involved in Debian.
>>>
>>> I am not sure it is a station in itself, and definitively not something
>>> anybody will spend a day on (except maybe the station organisers).
>>>
>>> Is there people interested in running this ? I can bring a hand but I am
>>> definitively not a gpg expert, neither in Debian nor in general (despite
>>> being a more or less regular user since a few years).
>>
>> My experience is that gpg requires several attempts before the basic
>> concepts and practices are swallowed, so any gpg station would be worthwile.
>>
>> But I don't know if/how it is useful/necessary to be able to use gpg to
>> get involved in debian?
>
> It is necessary to know GPG to sign packages.
>
> To get involved as a Debian Developer, even non uploading, one needs at
> least two signatures on a key made by other Debian Developers.
>
> Besides that it does not seem necessary.

Thanks Jonathan for raising that topic. I had something similar in mind.

I tend to agree that it may not be necessary, nor the better moment to
do it (you don't really want people to generate cryptographic material
in one shot because they are in a session about, at least I don't :-)).

What I believe it can be nice however, would be to have a short (~1h)
keysigning party, *and* including an explanation of the concepts for
being interesting to everybody.

I try to ask Ludovic (ccd) to propose it. Unfortunately he won't be
available. But he told me he will be pleased to provide assistance to do
it. So if you agree it can be nice and if anybody would like to try to
organize something like feel free to to ping him :-)

[Ludovic, if you want to subscribe on the list for easier communication
its here: https://mailman.boum.org/listinfo/more-than-a-bsp :-) ]

--
Mathieu Goessens