Re: [Tails-ux] More Tails Server

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
CC: George Kadianakis, anonym
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] More Tails Server
segfault:
> I got some more screenshots for you to look at.

Yeah!

> I implemented the edit mode we discussed earlier and which will
> hopefully solve the issue of users not knowing how to edit the options
> while the service is running. The current workflow is:
>
> - When the [Edit] button is clicked, the labels turn into textboxes, the
> onion address is clickable (to open the dialog to reset it), and the
> [Apply] and [Cancel Edit] buttons appear.
>
> - When the service is running, and the [Apply] button is clicked, a
> pop-up opens and tells the user that the service needs to be restarted
> - There is no pop-up when the service is not running, because we don't
> need to restart it then
>
> - When the service is started while in edit-mode, another pop-up opens
> which asks if the changes should be applied or discarded before starting
> the service

I really much like all this.

> I'm not sure about the red colored buttons in the pop-ups (this is the
> GTK destructive-action style class). I wanted to try this to make it
> clearer which button will discard the changes and which will only close
> the dialog and return to editing. We discussed this problem before, see
> for example [1] for sajolida's suggestions. I chose to add the "Discard
> Changes" button in addition to the "Cancel" button, to make it clearer
> that the "Cancel" button will *not* discard the changes.

I saw the red button in the GNOME HIG but I'm not sure I ever saw it in
the while, even for very destructive actions like formatting a disk.
To my taste, on your pop-up it feels a bit too much. And actually, if we
remove the red button, maybe the blue one would feel to much as well.
And it might be better to present people with 3 buttons of equal visual
weight and let them choose calmly without interfering with colors.

On the other hand the blue background of the Apply button on the main
dialog makes sense because it's something we want people to do while
they might otherwise miss it (and it's the only reasonable call for action).

Other than that, I'm personally fine with your three labels.

> And I use a button for displaying the connection information, like
> suggested by sajolida. But I'm not really happy with it. I tried a
> button labeled "Connection Info", without a label in front of it - but I
> think this missing label makes it not fit with the rest of the options.
> So I also tried a [Display] button with a label in front of it.
>
> What do you think about all this?

I personally prefer the [Connection Info] button because the meaningful
words are inside the button (and not to its left), while I don't care
much about the visual fit. Maybe another option would be to use a
_Connection information_ link instead of a button?