Re: [Tails-ux] feature request: seperate, multiple, persist…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, t-om
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] feature request: seperate, multiple, persistant volumes
Thomas:
> I tried to find other places specifically about feature requests..
> never quite got there tho I followed a few hints    =(
>    So, here it is, I hope someone here can forward it, or tell me how
> to, to a more appropriate place.

tails-ux is fine as you are suggesting some new use scenarios. Maybe
tails-dev would be more appropriate as it's our general purpose mailing
list and more people read it.

> I think it would be wonderful if we had the option when signing in to
> persistent volume to access several different sets of data, several
> different persistent volumes.
> Sort of like signing in as a different user in some other OS's
>     BUT !   big difference requested!!
> DO NOT ask which volume, just ask for a password, as it is now, but have
> the option that different passwords would take you to different
> persistent volumes   =)
>    This way, no one could know easily/up-front how many volumes there
> are, or anything identifying about them.
> Also, if TAILS automatically asked for a password at the beginning,
> /even when there is NO persistent volume/, it would be a fine added
> confusion to any hacker looking for your records...

> any thoughts?  possibility of this?    I think it would not be super
> hard to do, as I suspect a lot of the basic code to do this is already
> there...   just ad a few new pointers  ?
>    thanks for your time/attention   =)

This looks like #5929 [1] ("Create encrypted persistent volume by
default for plausible deniability"), except that you are proposing
several volumes per USB stick. This would be something different but
once we get #5929, the main security property that you are imagining
would work already. Having multiple persistent storage on a single USB
stick would only save you hardware.

[1]: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5929