Re: [lime] LibreMesh on the waves

Autore: cri
To: libremesh
Oggetto: Re: [lime] LibreMesh on the waves

On 25/07/24 17:44, Mael Panouillot via LibreMesh wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> So, last week-end was a LibreMesh themed week-end, and this is a report
> of what happened during it.

thanks a lot for this report!

> On Friday the 19th, I was invited to Radio Campus in Brussels, for the
> "Radio Source" program, where they talk about current Free Software news
> and the world of Open Source development.
> I had the opportunity to talk with the hosts for about an hour about
> LibreMesh, why the project was created, and how it was used in 2024. I
> also talked about what a mesh network is, what are its purposes, and
> what LibreMesh offers regarding mesh networks. To end the discussion, I
> talked shortly about the cable purpose auto-detection, and I spent some
> time explaining the Pirania captive portal, as a tool for communities to
> fund a mesh network.

great! good cover of topics

> We also discussed a bit of the CrowdStrike issues that happened that
> morning, as en end-point of the program. To close it out,

yes, it's nice that the incident can give the possibility to speak of
networks and dependencies :)
I liked in italian the topic was covered by this program (from the
radical movements and people from the hacklab of Roma):

https://www.ondarossa.info/newstrasmissioni/dita-nella-presa/2024/07/strike-anywhere

I invited
> people to join the Linux Install Party happening on the 21st, and to
> bring their old routers.

hehehe sounds really nice.
In bologna we have a laboratory where 2 times a months we help people to
repair stuffs or install Linux, and also we take old routers:
https://antennine.noblogs.org/post/2023/12/30/volantino-raccattarouter/

nice hear of similar events

> The archive is available here https://redif.src.brussels/ (Pick 2024 and
> then select the file from the 19th of July).

Can I publish a news about it in our website?
here: https://libremesh.org/news.html

I have to listen your interview, if I can I give you feedback.

> On Saturday the 20th, I spent the whole day at the Caldarium, the HQ of
> Neutrinet, a small independent internet service provider in Belgium.
> (https://caldarium.be/en:start). There, we set up a working mesh network
> using two types of routers:
>     - Belkin RT3200
>     - WiFix WE826-T2
> We setup this network in preparation of Sunday, where a Linux Install
> Party was organized, for people to come with their router if they were
> interested, and flash their router to add it to the Caldarium's new mesh
> network.
> During that day, I flashed my first LibreMesh routers, which was a bit
> of a challenge, but I could make use of their super powerful machines,
> which created images in a fraction of the time that my laptop took to
> create one. With that setup, I could tinker with the different options
> more easily.

I know the place, so I'm sure was a pleasure.

Probably you already know, but you can also download an already compiled
image
https://downloads.libremesh.org/selector/
with a friendly interface that give the possibility to search by Name of
the device :)
Maybe the firmware selector is not enougth promoted in our website...

> So, on Sunday the 21st, we had that Linux Install Party. A lot of people
> came, but few of them were here for the LibreMesh part of the event. Two
> people came with a router Philips CIA7620, which was sadly not supported
> by OpenWRT (it seems that no Philips routers are supported by OpenWRT).
> The reason many people had the same old model of router is because it
> was one of the basic router sent by the ISPs when you subscribed to an
> internet pack.

azz..
unlucky

> I tried to flash a generic LibreMesh image on them maybe in a spark of
> crazy luck it would've worked out, but it didn't.
> So in the end of the day, we didn't manage to expand the mesh network
> that we setup on Saturday, but it was great to explain LibreMesh to
> curious people coming in, and see that they were interested in this kind
> of software, and thinking about setting something up in their respective
> communities. After that I -of course- directed them to the LibreMesh
> website, to the community here in the mailing list and to the Matrix
> channel.

great, contestually to this..
I would like add in our website a section about USE CASE,
because our website is really technical, welcoming, but for me is
missing a practice aspect that help people to imagine what they can do
with libremesh
we can speak about this in the next meeting

> All-in-all, it was a fantastic week-end of learning for me, and I had a
> great time! I was surrounded by people way more network-savvy than
> myself, and I learned a lot on how they approached network management,
> and managing their ISP servers. I had the opportunity to learn a lot,
> and understand how it relates to the services offered by LibreMesh.
>
>     -Nemael

thanks
Cri