Re: [Tails-dev] Pip is not torified by default

Autor: Patrick
Para: tails-dev
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Pip is not torified by default
>It never was installed in any Tails release.

My bad I thought it was in 5.20 but upon further investigation it was
indeed not included like you said.

>and none of them are into Python development.

Thats fair and makes sense. Could python3-pip be included or would it
cause issues with build or other dependencies or security?

>Our focus are on the needs of our personas [2]
>[2] https://tails.net/contribute/personas/
> Cris
>
> The Information Gatherer

There are many open-source intelligence (OSINT) tools that you can
install with pip.

> Derya
>
> The Privacy Advocate

There also may be different privacy tools that you can install with pip
that are not in apt or included with tails.
A guide could be added to advanced topics for these use cases
https://tails.net/doc/advanced_topics/python_packages

* Example:

Start Tails with an administration password
Open root terminal under Applications -> System Tools -> Root Terminal

Update and install pip
apt update
apt install python3-pip -y

Create pip.conf file to use tor
mkdir -p ~/.config/pip/
echo '[global]
proxy = socks5h:127.0.0.1:9050' >> ~/.config/pip/pip.conf

Copy pip.conf to dotfiles
mkdir -p /live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/dotfiles/.config/pip
cp /home/amnesia/.config/pip/pip.conf
/live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/dotfiles/.config/pip/

Add python packages folders to persistence.conf for persistence
echo '/home/amnesia/.local/lib    source=python-packages' \ >>
/live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/persistence.conf
echo '/home/amnesia/.local/bin    source=local/bin' \ >>
/live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/persistence.conf
echo '/home/amnesia/.cache/pip    source=pip-cache' \ >>
/live/persistence/TailsData_unlocked/persistence.conf

Reboot tails and install the pip packages you want :)