Re: [Tails-dev] Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Sili…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: David A. Wheeler
À: The Tails public development discussion list
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Silicon)

> On Feb 1, 2024, at 8:09 AM, anonym <anonym@???> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> First of all, very impressive work! Damn!

I agree.

Tails will have to decide how it wants to spend its limited resources.

In the long term, I think it'd be awesome to have a "unified" build that could
boot on x86 *and* a few common ARM systems (specifically Raspberry PIs,
Apple laptops, and maybe some ARM Chromebooks). That way, a user could
switch from one computer to another, with a different architecture,
and continue to work and use the data stored on the Persistent Storage.
Macs are more expensive, but not everyone can afford a second computer.
Raspberry PIs are widely available and inexpensive.
There would be a challenge for handling extra downloaded software,
but I think it's reasonable to say you have to re-download software for a different architecture.

Whether or not that's worth *doing* is a different task.

--- David A. Wheeler