[Tails-dev] FWD: Re: Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: noisycoil
À: Tails Dev
Sujet: [Tails-dev] FWD: Re: Tails for arm64 (with support for Apple Silicon)
Resending this so it reaches the whole mailing list.

---

*** For the casual reader: please do not use this version of Tails. This is just a developer preview, it won't protect you like official releases do ***

Hi David,

At https://mega.nz/folder/BrJFGQyR#8rsN06I_pC_YV6spqATeBA you will find a third image, based on the "wip/raspi" branch at https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/noisycoil/tails, that boots and works on a Raspberry Pi 5 via USB (but should also work on other arm64 Raspberrys - I have none to test it at the moment). This image did not undergo much testing: it boots and connects to the internet via Tor, and the Tor Browser works as well; this is most of what I can say.

I already see it needs some tweaks. For instance, after the first boot - which changes the main partition's UUID -, you need to manually edit the "cmdline.txt" file and write in the new UUID (you need to do this only once). In production this could be dealt with via an initramfs hook that checks if there's a mismatch and fixes it automatically.

Also, Onionshare doesn't work and the initramfs-shutdown service fails due to /usr/local/bin/tails-get-bootinfo knowing nothing about how booting on the Pi works.

In principle, making a universal arm64 image could be possible, but asides from the firmware (storing different firmware for different platforms on the same image may be feasible), the software and drivers may need different tweaks for different platforms. Quite a few Debian-based distros are providing different arm images for different platforms.

Best,

NC