[lime] Results on distance setting influence on performances

Autor: Ilario
Para: LibreMesh
Asunto: [lime] Results on distance setting influence on performances
Dear all,
with Gothos (a.k.a. Samlo, our GSoC student for this year), we performed
some measurement on the influence of a too-large distance setting on two
mesh (iee802.11s on 5 GHz) wifi links, one of 1200 m and another of 2100
m. Actually, the real-world measurements have been taken by Gothos on
some real nodes of this community: https://antennine.noblogs.org/

We checked what happens, on both links, when changing the distance
setting between 2100 m, 5 km and 10 km, without changing anything else,
just a parameter in OpenWrt. And measuring the real bandwidth with
bidirectional iperf3.

This has been done for deciding over this topic:
https://github.com/libremesh/lime-packages/issues/201
(which is a good default value for the distance setting)
and we could (should) implement the output of this discussion (i.e. a
better default value) in the upcoming releases.

This email is for sharing with you the results and the code, in case
anyone is willing to measure this on their routers, or to perform more
optimizations of other parameters!
In a following email, Gothos will tell us more about the physical setup
at the testing site, router models, signal level etc.
Also, anyone is welcome to share their opinion on the data!

Here you are:
https://github.com/ilario/wifi-distance-setting-exploration

The script in Python, I wrote for allowing anyone to plot data taken
modifying any parameter, not only the distance one. But the data has to
follow the format generated by the bash commands reported in the README
file that you can find in the repository.
Also these commands will have to be slightly adapted for exploring other
parameters, obviously.

One thing I want to say already: it is possible that at minute 0 and
minute 5 of the measurements (Gothos, is this right?) there is an effect
of a cron job that was running on the nodes performing a wifi scan every
5 minutes (equivalent to job of the wifi-unstuck-wa package that you can
find in the lime-packages repository).

Ciao!
Ilario & Gothos

--