Re: [lime] Fwd: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better defau…

Author: cri
To: libremesh
Subject: Re: [lime] Fwd: [libremesh/lime-packages] Set a better default distance parameter on the WiFi conifguration (#201)

> On 18/05/23 19:00, Ilario Gelmetti wrote:
>>
>> Let's reopen this discussion.
>> @digitigrafo <https://github.com/digitigrafo> reported that plenty of
>> communities had problem with 1000 m as maximum default distance.
>> I propose to set it to 5 km.

I moved here the discussion because is important that people running
mesh networks say something, and speak together with developers of
code.. so github is not a good place in my opinion.

in our mesh network for example we have two nodes of more than 5km..

ubiquiti m5 is expected that does 10km... like the ubnt litebeam and
nanobridge, and airgrid, ....
this is the list of our antennas:
https://antennine.noblogs.org/post/2021/12/15/tipi-di-antenne-che-usiamo/

so for me the resolution is only be clear that people has to set it in
LUCI or build by yourself the firmware writing what they need in the
network profile https://github.com/libremesh/network-profiles,
or make a specific firmware for each devices using the feature of the
config on mac address..
https://github.com/libremesh/lime-packages/commit/3d9f67c762116cc61e2a5682cca01d44b870512e

at the moment the images available is only for a target ath79
https://downloads.libremesh.org/releases/2020.1/targets/

so I think that most of the people using lime at this point are building
their own firmware... and I hope using network profiles.

but for me we need to be clear between us if we want write the doc
missing and move the rest of the doc somewhere out of repositories.. and
be clear that to use libremesh in your community you need some tech
skills.. I think we finished the communities that tried to use lime
without tech people inside...

hugs ignifugo