Re: [Gancio-list] Blobs / bolle terms

Autore: lesion
To: gancio-list
Oggetto: Re: [Gancio-list] Blobs / bolle terms
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 06:02:03PM +0200, fadelkon wrote:
>Ciao a tutti!

>I just registered to the list, so I apologize if you already commented
>this. It's about the term "blob". I discussed it with another gancio
>admin and it was confusing to us. I also just realized that in italian
>it's translated as "bolle", that looks to translate to "bubble".

I was waiting for this :)
Consider that feature is not released yet, I think you are one of the
few people who know about its existence (for others
https://framagit.org/les/gancio/-/issues/166 ).

Anyway, the term "blob" comes from another software I'm writing that is
basically an rss feed aggregator (without registration, for small
communities, "hook" style in short). You're right that in Italian it
translates to bubbles, that's the image I have of something that
encloses, aggregates and puts together: a soap bubble. anyway, no problem
changing the term, I knew it would be confusing. also consider that it
only shows up in the admin panel though.

>Some ideas for the term that arised:
>- (tag/location) groups
>- topic
>- collection
>- scopes (àmbits)
>- some generic "partition" word: section, view, sets...
>
>The problem is that depending on their use, these blobs can mean very
>different things:
>- groupings of places by neighboorhood
>- type of event (demonstration, lunch, talk, ...)
>- general topics (internationalism, ecology...)
>- an on-demand chaotic mixture of them all :P

this is also why I thought it made sense to "invent" another term to
describe these concepts.

anyway, "collection" it's ok to me.