Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: ignifugo
À: tails-dev
Sujet: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)

On 19/07/21 08:15, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> syster via Tails-dev (2021-07-17):
>> The server that Tails is using for its official chat room, might become an entrance to xmpp for Tails user.
>> Choosing a server that gives new user a pleasant experience should be preferred over a server that does not.
> Personally, I would prefer not to dedicate any effort into this sort
> of XMPP outreach, because:
>
>   - I see the move we're going to make later this month as a temporary
>     stop-gap measure, rather than as a long term endorsement of XMPP.
>     There are chances we migrate away from XMPP entirely in the
>     not-too-distant future.

>   - I don't believe the XMPP ecosystem is good enough for our users
>     that we should spend time encouraging them to use it more.
>     Quite the opposite, actually.

>   - We're talking about very, very few people here (Tails users who
>     try, and manage to connect to our users mutual support chat room)
>     ⇒ whatever we choose here, the impact is almost negligibl

I don't like hear that to an accurate question, with an accurate
aswer... the second round of answer looks like to me: <<... AH.. But
doesn't matter..we have other plan>> I understand that Intrigeri doesn't
want put effor in this, but I keep the problem lifted up by Syster. And
I feel sorry hear this answer.. And I don't know which are the plan
after.. "replace xmpp with?".. lets go... with Discourse? is ok for
me... but are missing informations..important to understand and seems a
bit discredit the answer of Syster. If the opinion shared is.. better
close XMPP channel to another tool, ok.. maybe is better that we explored..

For me is better close, than started a relationship not clear, or take
the time to evaluate relationships, and move in our mapped relationships
yet affirmed.

Start a collaboration and trusted other projects is a serious act and
need time and effor, also revert this. And be really really explicit on
what we think that this collaboration is..like.. We will use public/not
public your service for 6 months. Stop. We will do a donation of
xxx.money. thanks.

I have also dubts about esiliati.org, I'm not sure that is more than a
person, I used some of their tools, but I used safely only the stateless
service.

They have not explicit policy, not founding plan, not decision making,
not comunication channel with the users. for what I know... maybe
someone can say that I'm wrong... please.

So I use this meter to choose a service:

https://en.gendersec.train.tacticaltech.org/downloads/en/autonomous_server_material_hosting_provider_features.pdf

And I have not satisfied a lot of this qualities.

I would like propose to move on:

1) https://www.systemli.org/en/service/xmpp/   -
https://jabber.systemli.org/
(https://compliance.conversations.im/server/jabber.systemli.org/)

if is possible, so more robust entities.

I don't know if is possible use jabber.ccc.de and who of them run that
service. That service was stopped by german goverment in the 2015 and
after restarted, so probably  are well skilled and prepared, and I use
yearly the chat of the congress

2) https://compliance.conversations.im/server/jabber.ccc.de/

or 3) https://calyxinstitute.org/projects/digital-services/xmpp that are
patner of Riseup for the vpn. but the quality of the service is this

https://compliance.conversations.im/server/jabber.calyxinstitute.org/

Other choose could be autistici.org that is running a xmpp service, but
they not keep history, so became difficult to use for us, and I exclude
them... https://compliance.conversations.im/server/autistici.org/.

other entityes that we trust or that more than a person of us know that
we can evaluate?

hugs ignifugo