Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to a…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] chat software for Tails
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Proposal: migrate our public chat rooms to another friendly XMPP server (#17956)
Hi,

syster via Tails-dev (2021-07-17):
> The server that Tails is using for its official chat room, might become an entrance to xmpp for Tails user.
> Choosing a server that gives new user a pleasant experience should be preferred over a server that does not.

Personally, I would prefer not to dedicate any effort into this sort
of XMPP outreach, because:

- I see the move we're going to make later this month as a temporary
stop-gap measure, rather than as a long term endorsement of XMPP.
There are chances we migrate away from XMPP entirely in the
not-too-distant future.

- I don't believe the XMPP ecosystem is good enough for our users
that we should spend time encouraging them to use it more.
Quite the opposite, actually.

- We're talking about very, very few people here (Tails users who
try, and manage to connect to our users mutual support chat room)
⇒ whatever we choose here, the impact is almost negligible.

Cheers!